World Matchplay Darts Outright & 1st Round uploaded - Andy Richmond's Beating The Bias uploaded - The Open Championship uploaded - Horses to Follow uploaded - Wimbledon Men's Final uploaded - World Cup Final & 3rd/4th Playoff & Newmarket Day 3 uploaded
Each month I run a sports quiz at Kettering Rugby Club. Here are the November questions. If you would like the answers please send me an email.
General Sports Knowledge
1. Which country will host the Winter Olympics in February next year?
2. Whose autobiography opens with the following line? Pep Guardiola, the Barcelona manager, with his grey suits and brooding expression, came up to me looking a bit self-conscious.
3. Which team beat Cleveland 4-3 to win last season’s World Series baseball?
4. After Jurgen Klopp commented “we’re here for results” in a recent press conference, who then tweeted him stating that they had won their last 4,211 games?
5. Who won the leading trainer award at this year’s Cheltenham Festival?
6. Which medal did Floyd Mayweather win at the 1996 Olympics?
7. Which sport is Manchester acting as host for the world championships in December?
8. How many officials are on the field of play in an NFL game?
9. Whose darts walk on music is Jump Around by House of Pain?
10. Against which now championship league club did Petr Cech incur the head injury in 2007 which has seen him play in a skull cap ever since?
On this day (Oct 8th) in….
1. In 1993 which dual ladies Grand Slam winner was born?
2. In 1978 who won the F1 World Championship?
3. In 2007 Crystal Palace sacked which manager after accumulating just 10 points in their opening 10 games?
4. In 2016 which future classic winner won the Dewhurst Stakes?
5. In 2005 who became the first footballer to be sent off twice for England?
6. In 2011 England were knocked out of the Rugby Union World Cup by which team?
7. In 1932 which multiple World Snooker Champion was born?
8. In 1987 which country played host to the first cricket world cup game not played in England?
9. In 1956 the NY Yankees Dan Larsen became the first player to achieve what in the World Series?
10. In 2017 who finished runner-up to Lewis Hamilton in the Japanese Grand Prix?
1. Which NFL team protested against Donald Trump’s comments criticising players by refusing to take to the field for the National Anthem two weeks ago?
2. On which British television show in 1991 did Donald Trump conduct the draw for the 5th Round of the Rumbelows Cup, now the EFL Cup?
3. Who did Donald Trump play tennis with when opening the Tennis Centre in North Virginia days before he announced his presidential candidacy?
4. Name either of Donald Trump’s two golf resorts in Scotland?
5. Which sport did Donald Trump give up the chance of a professional career to go into business instead?
6. Which basketball star did Donald Trump withdraw a White House invitation to for hesitating to accept the invitation?
7. Which Australian middle order batsman who had a poor Ashes Tour in 2005 scoring 178 runs was bizarrely just one of 47 people Donald Trump was following on Twitter but not anymore?
8. Donald Trump acted as host to many Mike Tyson fights at the Trump Plaza in Atlantic City. Name Tyson’s opponent in 1988 in the fight promoted as ‘Once And For All which at the time was the richest fight in boxing history grossing $70 million?
9. In 1989 Donald Trump was the sponsor of an American road cycle race that he called the Tour de Trump. What was the colour of the leader’s jersey (a) green (b) orange or (c) pink?
10. Donald Trump follows 45 people on Twitter. Name the only sportsman that he follows. Clue is that he is 81 years old and is not American.
1) Dead or Alive: Is the 1967 Open Champion, Roberto di Vicenzo, dead or alive?
2) True or False: The Olympic gold medal contains over 50% more silver than gold.
3) Faster or Slower: Do the fastest 100m men’s sprinters average above or below 33mph?
4) Top or Bottom: From which half of the draw did Roger Federer win this year’s Wimbledon title?
5) Which of Dundee or Dundee United FC has the biggest ground capacity?
6) Who is the older, Jayne Torvill or Christopher Dean?
7) The West Indian batsmen Gordon Greenidge and Desmond Haynes hold the record for most runs for opening partnership in test cricket with 6,482? Which of the pair outscored the other?
8) True or False: The nationality of the Men’s Heavyweight World Sumo Wrestling Champion is Japanese?
9) Before or After: The first rugby union international match took place before or after 1900?
10) Higher or Lower: Was the transfer fee of Cristiano Ronaldo from Manchester United to Real Madrid higher or lower than £85 million?
In The Last Two Months
1) Whose record of number of runs in a single summer for England did Joe Root beat?
2) When scoring against Liverpool whose record did Sergio Aguero pass when becoming the highest scoring Non European player in the Premier League?
3) Which former world boxing champion nicknamed The Raging Bull died at the age of 95 and played by Robert De Niro in the 1980 film of the same name?
4) Sloane Stephens became the first unseeded winner of the women’s US Singles title since which European?
5) In beating Waterford who won the Hurling All-Ireland Final for the first time since 1988? (a) Galway (b) Cork or (c) Kilkenny?
6) Who won his first Major Championship when winning the USPGA title?
7) Which country won the Rugby Union World Under 20 Trophy? Clue: none of the Six Nations or NZ, Australia or South Africa entered.
8) In which European country did the World Cycling Championships take place?
9) What was the name of the mascot at the London World Athletics Championships?
10) Who won his first televised PDC title when winning the Champions League of Darts in Cardiff?
At The Movies
1) In National Velvet, what was the name of the 100/1 winner of the Grand National ridden by Elizabeth Taylor?
2) Chariots Of Fire focussed on the Olympic Games in Paris in which year?
3) In Escape To Victory (1981) which English goalkeeper stood in for Sylvester Stallone in the football scenes?
4) Who directed the film Invictus focussing on the 1995 Rugby World Cup in South Africa?
5) What was the name of Paul Newman’s character in the pool films, The Hustler and the Colour Of Money?
6) What was the name of martial arts icon Bruce Lee’s final film released six days after his death?
7) Which sports film has just opened this year’s Zurich Film Festival?
8) Name the actor who won Best Supporting Actor at the Oscars for his role in Jerry Maguire including the line ‘Show Me the Money’?
9) Ron Howard’s 2013 film Rush focussed on which sporting rivalry between two individuals during the 1970s?
10) Name the last winner of Best Picture at the Oscars with a sports theme?
The Wheely Good Round
1) How many times was Alain Prost F1 World Champion?
2) What was the nationality of the winner of the opening stage of the Ladies’ Tour of Britain that finished in Kettering this year who went on to win the race?
3) The off road endurance event the Dakar Rally (formerly Paris-Dakar) has taken place in which continent since 2009?
4) Where does the Speedway British Grand Prix take place in July?
5) Which car has won the Le Mans 24 hours race on the most occasion with 19 victories since the race first took place in 1923?
6) David Weir has won how many wheelchair Olympic gold medals? (a) 4 (b) 6 or (d) 8?
7) The most successful Superbikes rider in history Carl Fogarty with 59 wins rode for two manufacturers. Name one of them.
8) In what year did Barry Sheene win the second of his two World Grand Prix Motorcycle Championships?
9) Name the only British racecourse that also hosts Harness Racing (trotting) meetings?
10) Earlier this year which current F1 driver led the Indianapolis 500 for 27 laps before having to retire through engine failure with 21 laps remaining?
General Sports Knowledge
1) Astute Missile caused the biggest shock in Greyhound Derby history when winning at Towcester in July. What was his starting price?
2) Which NFL team plays at Fort Field
3) If you had bet on every team to win every game in the Premier League last season, which club would you have made the biggest profit?
4) She represents Spain and lives in Switzerland but in which country was the Wimbledon champion Garbine Muguruza born?
5) Which Rugby League club ends the game with a rendition of Sweet Caroline over the P.A. system?
6) Who shot a round of 62 at The Open this year becoming the first player in history to break 63 in a Major Championship?
7) Who rode Wings Of Eagles to cause a 40/1 surprise in this year’s Derby?
8) What is the Guiseppe Garibaldi Trophy that was first contested in 2007?
9) Which team has scored the most goals in the history of the F A Cup?
10) Who was the first national host of A Question Of Sport?