World Matchplay Darts Outright & 1st Round uploaded - Andy Richmond's Beating The Bias uploaded - The Open Championship uploaded - Horses to Follow uploaded - Wimbledon Men's Final uploaded - World Cup Final & 3rd/4th Playoff & Newmarket Day 3 uploaded
Each month I run a sports quiz at Kettering Rugby Club. February-March is my busiest time of the year so the next sports quiz will be in April. Please drop me an email if you require the answers.
General Sports Knowledge
1. Which two football teams in the Bundesliga would contest the Dortmund Derby?
2. What weight are Michael van Gerwen’s darts 19 grams, 21 grams or 23 grams?
3. What is affectionately known as The Auld Mug?
4. Which city will play host to the 2018 European Athletics Championships?
5. Which Briton won the 1994 RAC Rally?
6. Who beat Sebastian Coe to win the Olympic Gold medal over 800m at the 1984 games in Los Angeles?
7. Which show jumper also competed in professional wrestling and released a record called True Love?
8. Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester United and which other Premier League club have won three successive league titles?
9. Who won the F1 World championship in 1981, 1983 and 1987?
10. How many times has Phil Mickelson finished runner-up in the US Open?
In The Last Two Months
1. Which city lost the right to host seven games at Euro 2020 that will now be played at Wembley?
2. Which pool player equalled Johnny Archer’s record of 17 appearances in the Mosconi Cup?
3. Which former footballer finished second on his debut as a jockey in a charity race at Ascot?
4. How many saves did David de Gea make against Arsenal equalling the record for a Premier League game 14, 16 or 18?
5. Who was the leading runs scorer for England in The Ashes?
6. By what scoreline more associated with football did New Zealand beat Fiji in the quarter finals of the Rugby League World Cup?
7. By what scoreline did Rob Cross beat Phil Taylor in the PDC World Darts Final?
8. Who beat Belgium 3-2 to win the Davis Cup?
9. Rickie Fowler shot a career-low round to win the Hero Challenge on the final day. How many shots did he take?
10. Who knocked the Kansas City Chiefs out in the Play Offs?
1. Name the two Jones’s to have won the men’s London Marathon?
2. Eight Jones’s have played for the England football team, the most recent being Phil Jones. Who was the seventh?
3. Roy Jones Jnr was widely regarded as the best pound for pound boxer of his generation. Which medal did he win at the Seoul Olympics?
4. Who has been the owner of the Dallas Cowboys since 1989?
5. England head rugby union coach Eddie Jones was born in what Australian state?
6. Which England cricketer bowled right handed, batted left handed and was born in Wales?
7. Which Jones won three gold and two bronze medals at the Sydney Olympics but was later stripped of the titles due to steroid abuse?
8. Bobby Jones won five Major golf championships and four US Amateur championships in what decade?
9. Which Welsh woman won gold in Tae-Kwondo at the 2016 Olympics?
10. In what car did Alan Jones win the Formula 1 world championship in 1980?
1. Which English cricketer was known as The Master?
2. By what food are Heart of Midlothian affectionately known as?
3. What was the nickname of the US Masters winner, Craig Stadler?
4. Who had a hit song with the nickname of the winner of the BBC Overseas Sports Personality of the Year in 2012?
5. Who is known as The Robin Hood of Snooker?
6. What nickname was Chris Hoy known?
7. Which League 1 club are known as The Millers?
8. Which current world top ten darts player is known as The Wizard?
9. Who was known as The Refrigerator?
10. What was the nickname of Lester Piggott?
The 50-50 Round
1. Which is the longer race, the Grand National or University Boat Race?
2. Geoffrey Boycott’s best score for England was 250? Higher or lower?
3. True or False: Robin Cousins starred in the Rocky Horror Picture Show on Broadway in 1977?
4. Does Novak Djokovic have a one-handed or two-handed backhand?
5. Which TV station will cover England v Belgium at the World Cup, BBC1 or ITV1?
6. Dead or Alive? Two-time World Cup winner for Brazil, Garrincha?
7. True or False? Edwin Moses’s middle name is Sinai?
8. The women’s pole vault world record is 5 metres 20 centimetres? Higher or Lower?
9. Chelsea FC were founded in the 19th or 20th century?
10. Higher of Lower? Lewis Hamilton has recorded 65 F1 pole positions in his career.
1. Who was the Purlitzer Prize winning book King of the World by David Remnick written about?
2. Barbarian Days was the winner of the William Hill Sports Book of the Year in 2016 covering which sport? Judo, Surfing or Rugby Union?
3. Whose autobiography published recently was called Over And Out?
4. Which football manager who died in 1996 has his life chronicled in Ian Herbert’s ‘A Quiet Genius’ nominated for the Sports Book of the Year 2017?
5. Which Yorkshireman’s autobiography published last year was called The Man In The Middle?
6. Jockey and horseracing crime writing novelist Dick Francis was born in which country? England, Ireland or Wales?
7. In Fever Pitch, Nick Horny describes his passion for which football club?
8. Which English cricket captain wrote a book called “Gambling, A Story Of Triumph and Disaster” interviewing many professional gamblers?
9. Lawrence Booth is the current editor of which long-standing sporting annual first published in 1864?
10. The Damned United by David Peace was made into film. Who played the role of Brian Clough in the film? (Michael Sheen)
Alphabet Round (Answer starts with the next letter in the alphabet question by question – i.e. if answer 1 starts with S then answer 2 will start with T)
1. On which Spanish island was Rafael Nadal born?
2. Which English football’s club ground has a capacity of 30,445?
3. In which US state was Jack Nicklaus born?
4. Who is Australia’s most revered racehorse winning 37 of his 51 career starts?
5. Who was assistant to Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United between 2004-2008?
6. Which rugby union team play at the Athletic Ground?
7. In what sport was Caroline Bradley a leading participant before her untimely death at the age of 37?
8. Who scored the injury-time goal that clinched the First Division Title in 1989?
9. Which England rugby union player was born in Middlesbrough in 1963?
10. What connects the trainer of six winners of the Derby and three Grand Nationals, one of the fastest professional darts players in the world and the lead character name played by Tom Cruise in the American Pool film, The Color Of Money?
General Sports Knowledge
1. Between which four-year spell in the 1970s did Ron Atkinson manage Kettering Town?
2. Which brothers helped to open the 2005 Eurovision Song Contest?
3. What was the name of the boat similarly named to songs by Sammy Davis Jr and Fleetwood Mac won the America’s Cup in 1995?
4. Which Scot won the BDO World Darts Championship in 1997?
5. How many shooting competitions are there in a men’s 10km biathlon?
6. In which year did the Ali-Frazier fight in the Philippines take place?
7. Which horse connected to Christmas won the Derby in 1964?
8. Name the two football teams that Ian Botham played for?
9. Who performed the Half Time Show at the 2017 Super Bowl?
10. In which country was Mo Farah born?